What to do if you lose your passport abroad

What secret places tourists do not invent for storing documents, but passports abroad are still lost regularly.

So, the situation: you check all your pockets and bags, interrupt your number ten times, and then over and over again. And again. But the conclusion is still disappointing – there is no passport. Don’t panic! Try to act calmly but quickly. Here are some tips to help you navigate.

What to do if you lose your passport abroad?

  • First of all, go to the nearest police station and write a statement about the loss or theft of your passport. This is necessary in order to receive a certificate confirming the fact of the loss of the document. If you do not speak the language of the country you are in, try to explain the situation using Google Translate.
  • Then contact the embassy or consulate of your country. Get a certificate of return or apply for a new passport (if you are abroad for a long time or, for example, have moved (s) for permanent residence. Usually a passport has to wait about three months. the consulate will tell you all the details).

What Entry certificate (return)

This is a temporary document that replaces a passport if it is lost or expired abroad. The certificate allows you to stay on the territory of the country in which you are, and also gives you the opportunity to return to your homeland. It is better to check with the employees of the consulate about forced transit through other countries. The certificate is valid no more than 30 days from the date of registration. And during this period you need to have time to fly home.

Pto return to Ukraine, you will need to contact the department for citizenship, immigration and registration of individuals, hand over a certificate and get a new passport.

What you need to get a certificate of return:

  • The same certificate confirming the fact of theft or loss of your passport, which was given to you by the police.
  • Preferably – an internal passport or other document confirming your identity. If, together with your passport, all your documents have sunk into oblivion, you will have to find several people who are ready to say with confidence that you are you. You can find such “witnesses” among tourists in a hotel or directly at the embassy. There is another way: the consulate can send an official request to the territorial divisions of the State Migration Service of Ukraine in order to identify your identity, but you will have to wait up to 30 days for an answer.
  • Application for the issuance of a certificate of return. The uniform can be taken from the consulate.
  • Two color or black-and-white photographs 3.5 × 4.5 cm on a light background.
  • A copy of a lost passport, a copy of an internal passport (if there is no original), a driver’s license – all this is not included in the list of mandatory documents for obtaining a certificate of return, but it will simplify registration.
  • A document confirming the payment of the consular fee (according to the current tariffs of the foreign diplomatic establishment) or the original document of exemption from payment.

What documents are required to obtain a certificate of return for a child?

  • Birth certificates (original) or internal passport for a child from 14 years old. If a child over 14 years old does not have an internal passport with him, he will also have to go through the procedure for confirming his identity and citizenship.
  • Parent’s passport.
  • Application for a certificate of return.
  • Two photographs 3.5 × 4.5 cm for the child and the parent.

How long to wait for a certificate of return?

In the presence of the aforementioned documents, the certificate is usually issued on the same day, maximum – 5 working days from the date of submission of all documents.

How to fly home with a certificate of return?

At the check-in counter at the airport, you will be waiting for you with your passport. Therefore, contact the airline in advance and tell us about the current situation. We recommend arriving at the airport early, as the airline employees may have additional questions.

Preparing for a possible force majeure: what should be done before the trip?

Of course, we really hope that your passport will not go anywhere, but we still advise you to play it safe before the trip. So that in case of force majeure the issue is resolved faster, before traveling:

  • Find out and write down the addresses, phone numbers, as well as the working hours of the embassy or consulate of your homeland in the country of destination (or in the nearest country in the case of exotic).
  • Scan your internal and foreign passports – including pages with valid visas. Don’t forget about the driver’s license and the child’s birth certificate. Forward all this to yourself and a close relative by email. Make sure you remember your email password and you can log in from someone else’s device. Print copies of passports and put them in different places of hand luggage and baggage. After the flight, take a photo of the entry stamp or entry visa and also send it to your mail.
  • Take with you a couple of photos 3.5 × 4.5 cm, so that later you do not run in search of a photo studio.
  • Pack your international passport, internal passport and driver’s license in separate bags (so that if you lose one document, others will remain).

You can find out where you can fly now and what travel restrictions are in effect in our new section “Restrictions”. There you can also subscribe to notifications about changes in the regime of entry into the country of interest or in all directions.