Force majeure on vacation: the most popular problems and their solutions
A seaside vacation is full of temptations – drinks with ice beckon, and air conditioning seems to be the only salvation from the heat. It’s just that the body can react to such sharp temperature changes with a cold, which can pretty much spoil the impressions of the trip. To avoid this fate, take into account these factors that most often cause the disease:
- Draft. Air conditioning on board an airplane, an open window on a bus and banal fatigue on a trip often become the very triggers that provoke the activation of viruses.
- “Free time syndrome”… This term was coined by the Dutch scientist Hell Wingerhuts to describe cases when a person gets sick as soon as they go on vacation. The last week before vacation is usually stressful, to which the body can react with a slight delay.
- Hypothermia. You can get overcooled if you swim too hard and for a long time in a pond, but there is another subtle and more insidious way. On hot summer nights it can be difficult to fall asleep without air conditioning, but in the morning there is a great risk of waking up with a runny nose and sore throat.
- Cold drinks and ice cream. It would seem, what does ice cream have to do with SARS? Really direct. Bacteria and viruses can be present on the mucous membrane of the nasopharynx in a “dormant” state, and its sharp cooling activates them.
Take note! If during your vacation in Odessa and the Odessa region an unpleasant story happened to you in the form of a cold, stomach problems, sunburn or another problem, contact the Medea clinic. There is also the only trauma center in the region.
A golden tan is a souvenir that speaks volumes about how your vacation went. But in pursuit of him, many miss the moment when they need to stop and get unattractive and unpleasant sunburn. In order not to turn into the leader of the Redskins, remember these simple rules:
- Sunbathe gradually. Upon arrival at the sea, you should not sunbathe and swim all day long to celebrate. It is better to spend the first day in the shade, crawling out in the sun for 10 minutes per hour, on the second day, you can increase the sunbathing time to 15 minutes, and so on every day in increasing numbers.
- Use sunblock. Choose a product with the SPF you need depending on the skin phototype. For example, for the first phototype (light-skinned people of the Nordic type) you need maximum protection – SPF 50, for the second (light skin and light brown / brown hair) and the third type (light / olive skin and brown hair) products with SPF 30 are suitable.
- Sunbathe at safe hours. The most suitable time for tanning is from 8:00 to 11:00 in the morning and from 16:00 to 19:00 in the evening.
- Drink plenty of cool liquids. Cool, but by no means icy. This will help prevent dehydration.
If it so happens that you overdid it and your skin turns red, you need to use Panthenol or an after-sun cream with soothing properties. But what should not be done is to apply ice to burns, apply sour cream or other fermented milk products to the skin. Ice contributes to the death of the epithelium and can provoke cosmetic defects in the future, and fermented milk products create an environment for bacteria to multiply, so immediately discard these “folk methods”.
Traveling to exotic countries often entails not only new emotions from unexplored culture, but also “unforgettable” impressions of local cuisine. Unfortunately, not always in a good way. However, you can get poisoned while relaxing in not so exotic resorts, but somewhere on the Black or Azov Sea. Hot corn, mussels and rapana can sometimes also play a cruel joke with vacationers.
The main symptoms of poisoning are vomiting and diarrhea, which, in addition to the obvious inconveniences, also cause dehydration. To prevent this, you need to take care not only of removing toxins, but also of maintaining the water-salt balance. Use activated charcoal or other sorbent to detoxify, and drink plenty of water or rehydrant.
While resting at the resort, you should remember about simple rules to help avoid this:
- Drink bottled water
- If you bring any food to your room, you need to store them exclusively in the refrigerator.
- Carefully my fruits and vegetables
- Avoid eating raw fish and shellfish
Also, do not forget to properly prepare your first aid kit for travel. We have already written about what you should definitely take with you on a trip earlier in this article.
Fractures, dislocations and sprains
People are divided into two types: those who prefer to lie on the beach and relax to the fullest and those who want to get the most out of their vacation. The latter are often in a hurry to try all the proposed activities and feel extreme. But sometimes it can lead to unpleasant consequences in the form of fractures, dislocations and sprains.
In such a situation, it is extremely important to promptly contact the emergency room, since only an experienced specialist can correctly determine the nature of the injury. How severe the damage will be will be clear from the X-ray. Therefore, when you get injured, your algorithm of actions is as follows:
- Sprains cause swelling and pain in the joint, but movement is possible. You need to apply a cold compress to the affected part of the body for 15-20 minutes, and then see a doctor.
- Dislocation is characterized by pain and swelling, as well as a change in the shape of the joint and atypical movements for it. It is important to fix the injured limb and go to the emergency room as soon as possible.
- Fracture is difficult to confuse with something else. It makes itself felt with severe pain, rapid swelling and hematoma, as well as deformation of the affected area. In case of a fracture, you need to fix and immobilize the limb and promptly consult a specialist.
If, during your vacation in Odessa or on the Black Sea coast, one of these stories happens to you, we advise you to contact the family doctor’s clinic “Medea”. Here you can count on fast and quality service at the best price. The clinic has a convenient location: there are branches on Abrikosovaya and Bolshaya Arnautskaya streets, as well as an emergency room in the Tairov area and in the city center. The clinic offers a wide range of medical services, which means that you can contact here with any question and not waste time looking for a specialized institution.
We sincerely hope that your vacation will pass without such adventures, but now you are definitely fully equipped in case of any unforeseen situations.